Tuesday, September 8, 2009

In the Kitchen

Inspired by seeing Julie & Julia this summer (I would HIGHLY recommend it if you haven't seen it yet), I am going to try to cook one new recipe every week. Yesterday, I was inspired by some leftover pieces of filet mignon from a cookout in the Poconos and a recipe I had recently seen on one of my favorite websites, The Pioneer Woman - Grilled Ribeye with Bleu Cheese-Onion Sauce. With only needing to reheat the filets, and cooking the sauce which took 10 minutes and four ingredients, it was a wonderful meal for the end of a holiday weekend.

Here's the recipe for this VERY delicious sauce:

4 tbsp. butter
1 large yellow onion
1 c. heavy cream*
1 c. bleu cheese (crumbled)

*Our grocery store was out of heavy cream, so I used whole milk instead. It still turned out lovely, and just a little bit healthier.

Melt the butter in a heavy pan over high heat. Cut the onion in half from top to bottom, then slice (but not too thin). When the butter is melted, toss in onions, and stir occasionally until onions are a nice brownish-black color. Turn heat down to medium-high, pour in milk to heat and let thicken for about 3-4 minutes. Then toss in crumbled bleu, and stir until melted (this will not take long at all). In about 10 minutes, you have a yummy sauce, a great addition to a great steak that packs in TONS of flavor. I put my sauce as the bed, with the steak placed on top - no side dishes needed. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

you might also enjoy...